A purchase that turns into a nightmare for a young couple
Thursday, 29 march 2018 14:12
Thursday, 29 march 2018 14:18
Look at this article
A young couple believed to have found the house of their dreams in Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac. But the dream soon gave way to a nightmare.
After water infiltration, only two years after having bought their house in the Laurentians, the life of Marie Dionne-Leblanc and Hugo Séguin has shifted.
A mushroom bigger than a hand was in a basement wall and the mold had invaded the basement, like the attic.
“If the assessment had shown a mushroom as big as this, we would never have bought the house,” assured Hugo Séguin, met by TVA News.
The young couple was told deceived by the inspector who has inspected the remains. “We have been cheated. It was thought that the inspection had been complete,” said Mr. Séguin.
The inspector hired by the couple, has only made a visual inspection summary of the house. But with a comprehensive inspection, tests moisture would have been able to detect the mold problem and the couple would not have purchased the residence.
The owners must now incur costs of more than $ 50,000 because of this problem.
The torque of the Laurentians has initiated legal proceedings against the former owner. But due to lack of funds, the couple may not initiate similar steps against the inspector.
The state of their house also has consequences on the health of Marie Dionne-Leblanc and Hugo Séguin : nose bleeding, sore throat standing, throat dry. And according to the young owners, their cats, who are vomiting continuously, are also the poor air quality of their home.
Several associations have been demanding for long to better regulate the work of building inspectors.