Prince Andrew’s family reportedly struggles to find attendees for his 60th bash
Prince Andrew’s family is scrambling to send last-minute invites to his 60th birthday on Wednesday — because he is being “shunned” by so many former friends, according to a report.
The scandal-scarred royal is celebrating hitting the milestone age Wednesday with a private dinner at Royal Lodge, the Windsor residence he shares with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson.
It is already a downscaled celebration after his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, scrapped a lavish party in the aftermath of his disastrous attempts to justify his friendship with late pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
Now they are struggling to even fill the smaller party because so many people are saying they are “unavailable,” according to the Daily Mail.
To save embarrassment, last-minute invites are being sent to “second-tier guests” to make up the numbers, according to the UK paper, which says it highlights Andrew’s “dizzying fall from grace.”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are believed to be among those who have snubbed the party, and are instead sending a gift and a video message to be played there, according to the Sun.
The invites are being sent by Fergie’s assistant, Jane Clarke, on behalf of the Duchess of York and her daughters with Andrew, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, the Mail said.
Columnist Sebastian Shakespeare noted it was a “far cry” from Andrew’s 50th birthday, which was held over a weekend at St. James’s Palace.
A recent policy change also means there is “no requirement” for local councils to fly flags to mark the occasion, as had previously been the case, because Andrew is no longer performing royal duties.