Usa : she dies after eating oyster infected by a dangerous bacteria
Published the 10.01.2018 at 18h22
A middle aged man visiting friends on the coast of Louisiana last September, bought and ate oysters. According to a string of american television, she got sick in 36 hours and died 21 days later.
The fact of the presence of red plaques on her legs, then all over the body, his relatives had first thought an allergy, but a shortness of breath and a real respiratory distress led him in the icu in less than 48 hours.
A flesh-eating bacteria
The doctors found that this woman, otherwise healthy, had been infected by a bacterium of the genus Vibrio, which would be a dangerous bacteria ” flesh-eating “.
According to the u.s. center for infectious disease surveillance (CDC), people can contract the bacteria of the genus Vibrio by eating raw seafood or undercooked, or via an open wound in the stagnant water.
Attention to the provenance of the shells
According to his relatives, the fifty-year-old has so eating 2 dozens of oyster and would have been in contact with stagnant water. She died on October 15, 2017, at the end of 21 days of resuscitation.
The members of his family wish to raise awareness of the risks of this bacterium. The health authorities remind us that eating oysters raw including animal husbandry has not been properly controlled, there are risks.
Only certain precautions can wipe out the danger : boil food, wash hands after touch or even avoid swimming in water that is low in salt when one has wounds.
Recrudescence of the bacteria Vibrio
Among the two dozen species that make up the Vibrio is the bacteria Vibrio aestuarianus. Present in oysters, it is also dangerous for the man than for the mollusk ; it kills both. And this is only the beginning !
For almost five years, this type of infection is only growing. This is explained by the warming climate. Waters, increasingly hot, attract the bacteria that find shelter in shellfish, seafood and fish.