Attack in the mosque of Quebec: families of the victims will speak
File Photo, Daniel Mallard
Régis Labeaume and Boufeldja Benabdallah
Monday, 22 January 2018 10:46
Monday, 22 January 2018 10:54
Look at this article
The families of the victims of the bombing that occurred at the islamic cultural Centre of Quebec city last year will for the first time to the general population during activities of commemoration of the tragic attack on January 29, 2017.
Four days will be devoted to remembrance of the victims of this “senseless crime, and incomprehensible,” which marked the capital last year, announced Monday morning the mayor Régis Labeaume, at a press conference at the city hall of Quebec City.
The activities open on Friday, 26 January, at the Palais Montcalm, with the symposium “Living together with our differences”, organized by the Centre for the prevention of radicalization leading to violence. The same evening, at a religious ceremony open to the muslim community to be held at the Great mosque of Quebec, as announced earlier.
The next day, the population will be able to go to the meeting of the families of the deceased and other victims, during an open evening at the Great mosque of Quebec. These people will also witness during a spiritual contemplation in memory of the victims of the attack, which will be held on Sunday the 28th of January, at the Youth Pavilion. The evening, which will also be marked by prayers and music, will be driven by Eve-Marie Lortie and Khadija Said.
Finally, a commemoration citizens will be held on the day of the anniversary of the shooting, a few steps from the scene of the incident. The population will be able to testify once more its solidarity towards the families of the victims and the muslim community.
The mayor of Québec provides that each year, the events of January 29, 2017 will be the subject of a commemoration, although the form may vary. “We absolutely must remember what happened at that time,” said Mr. Labeaume.
More details will follow…