Fire in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve: Six families thrown to the street

News 9 February, 2018
  • Axel Marchand-Lamothe

    Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:59

    Thursday, 8 February 2018 16:24

    Look at this article

    Fifteen residents of the district of Hochelaga-Maisonneuve found barefoot and in the snow on Thursday morning when their building was evacuated due to a fire.

    In sandals, dressed only in his trousers and a long coat covering his torso, Tahar Djerroud had a few seconds to leave his apartment.

    “I heard a lot of noise in the housing above. At the beginning, I thought it was the children who were running. The police arrived quickly to get us out, ” says the one who lives in the building for approximately one year.

    The Montreal police has paid assistance to a person with reduced mobility, to evacuate what was hailed as the tenant.

    In the street

    In the basement of the three-storey building, a few young people who live in the street, had found refuge at a friend’s for the night due to the winter weather.

    “We went out without stockings and without shoes. I can say that it is cold ! , “says David Santerre.

    When the fire broke out around 9: 30 a.m., some of his housemates of fortune were overcome. “For once, we had a place to sleep “, lamented it.

    Supported by the Red Cross, the victims were given a few clothes to warm up in -10 °C.

    Injured minors

    According to Urgences-Santé, six people, including a family with two young children, have been taken care of after you have inhaled the smoke.

    A claim has also suffered from hypothermia.

    At the height of the blaze, more than a hundred firefighters have been required on-site intervention, which ended a little after 13 h

    Photo Le Journal de Montréal, Axel Marchand-Lamothe

    Tahar Djerroud, damaged

    “I don’t know yet where to sleep, says for his part, Mr. Djerroud. I’ll probably go to my sister’s house. “

    He hoped that the fire department allow him to go retrieve his personal belongings before being relocated.

    The fire would be of accidental origin, and have originated in an apartment on the second floor.