Saint-Hyacinthe: A school deemed to be dangerous

News 13 December, 2017
  • Photo special collaboration, Carl Vaillancourt
    Built in 1948, the foundation of the pavillon Saint-Joseph was considered to be unsafe.

    Carl Vaillancourt

    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 19:41

    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 19:41

    Look at this article

    SAINT-HYACINTHE | sixty students of the first and second years had to change schools in any emergency, because the foundation of the building was a danger for them.

    Parents whose children attended the pavillon Saint-Joseph of the school of the Sparrows of Saint-Hyacinthe were notified on Friday evening via email that the building’s 70-year-old would be closed as of Monday for security reasons. The students were relocated at the pavillon Maurice-Jodoin located 100 metres away.

    As there were only two available classes in the new school, some young people have been installed in the library.

    According to what has been learned, the structure of the building presented a risk of collapse due to age, a nuanced information by the Commission scolaire de Saint-Hyacinthe, CSSH, who refuses to disclose the expert’s report. According to the school Board, the pavilion has been closed as a preventive measure.

    The parents mixed

    “The engineers have informed us that if there ever was an earthquake, one would not know how the building will react,” explained the spokesman of the CSSH, Sagette Gagnon.

    The parents met Tuesday have appreciated the speed with which the establishment has taken the situation seriously.

    “As soon as they have taken knowledge of the report, they informed us. They do not have niaisé a second, ” said Cyntia Lafleur, the mother of a child who attends the daycare at the pavillon Saint-Joseph.

    Some parents, however, are worried about what will happen after the Holidays, since the current situation is temporary until 22 December, after the email sent.

    “I remain at Upton [26 km away from the school]. My work schedule is complex, and that of my wife also. It could become complicated if one moves to a new school at this time of the year. We live in a time of uncertainty at the same time “, explained Mathieu Raymond, who has a son in first year.

    Grant application withdrawn

    According to the spokesperson of the CSSH, a few options will be presented to parents at a special meeting this evening.

    The school Board has confirmed that the renovation work had been planned last August. These were estimated to be approximately $2.2 million.

    The school would have been entitled to apply for a grant for future work. However, the CSSH has withdrawn his application at the last minute.

    “The department of material resources was not sufficiently sure of the amount,” said Ms. Gagnon.