Saved from the flames by their dog Gonzo

News 9 February, 2018
  • Photo: Stéphane Sinclair
    Vincent Paquette Ravary and Julie Lauzon owe their lives to their dog Gonzo (mortise). The century-old building in which they lived is passed to the fire Monday evening.

    Stéphane Sinclair

    Friday, 9 February 2018 15:49

    Friday, 9 February 2018 15:53

    Look at this article

    Tenants of a century building, which was razed by fire on Monday evening in Sainte-Thérèse believe that they need the life of their dog Gonzo.

    Vincent Paquette Ravary and Julie Lauzon were discussing in the kitchen Monday evening when their dog Gonzo who was in the living room began to scrape with strength and perseverance in the door.

    After a few minutes, Mr. Paquette Ravary went to open the door to let the dog into the kitchen.

    While the dog was spinning between his legs, he felt a huge blast of heat on his face to the point where it was slightly burned. The living room was on fire and they had felt nothing.

    “I had burned hair and skin to the quick “, he says.

    According to him, a few minutes later and the fire would have been too powerful so that they can leave their homes.

    “I couldn’t see anything around me, everything was black and it was stifling,” says Julie Lauzon, who tried in vain to get his five cats.

    Opening the door to let out the dog, the oxygen that has penetrated into the living room quickly to stir up the fire that was spreading now in the kitchen.

    “I knew that we had to get out quickly. The air was already unbreathable, ” he said.

    “No Gonzo, it was all dead. The worst of it was that we had just recovered a week ago, ” he says, noting that the dog was previously the home of his ex-wife.

    Gonzo the hero

    The two roommates have had time to warn their neighbors to leave the building in flames.

    Made safe and healthy on the outside, Julie Lauzon, then, screaming at the top of your lungs ” My cats, my cats are inside.” Mr. Paquette Ravary went on the side of the house where the second exit door. He smashed the window, injuring the hand to be able to open the door to let the cats out of the apartment. “I once again inhaled a large amount of smoke,” says the musician career.

    A few minutes later, Vincent Paquette Ravary has lost consciousness and woke up in the hospital after being plunged into a medically induced coma to treat his injuries to the bronchi.