The ex-soldier accused of armed assault has been found guilty

News 23 February, 2018
  • Photo courtesy
    The ex-military, Dalton Stanvick, accused of assault with a weapon and aggravated assault, was found guilty.

    Kathleen Frenette

    Friday, February 23, 2018 17:23

    Friday, February 23, 2018 17:31

    Look at this article

    A former soldier accused of assault with a weapon and assault with serious which has provided the Court with a testimony “inconsistent, improbable and contradictory” has been found guilty by the judge Johanne Roy.

    • READ ALSO : ex-military accused of attack the weapon had bought cocaine on the night of the event

    Dalton Stanvick did not seem very disturbed when the president of the Court asked him to stand up to receive his verdict.

    Owned for a little over a year, it is so careful but sometimes miffed that the 24-year old man had listened to the narrative of facts which led him in detention.

    Arrived at ValCartier in January 2014 and acting as a member of the 5th combat engineer regiment, Stanvick had just come out of therapy to address problems related to alcohol and drugs when he went into a residence in Val-Bélair in November 2016 to buy drugs.

    On the pretext of having “lost his wallet” Stanvick is entered in the chamber of the seller where was hidden the drugs.

    When he got caught, he pulled out a knife and attacked violently the seller and his friend with the help of a knife with a blade of 12 cm.

    “The events experienced by the complainants are highly traumatic. Their testimonies are not identical on the course of aggression and the role of the individual, but the general framework of the starting point and the evolution of the attack is logical and coherent,” pointed out the judge Roy.

    More than that, for it, the testimony of the accused is consistent in nothing with the evidence gathered by the police or with the serious injuries sustained by the two victims.

    At the end of the room, the man and the woman were relieved to see that their version had been believed by the Tribunal, but, above all, very glad to be able to finally put this story behind them.

    “I’m in post-traumatic shock. I came close to death. But I also grew up in this story. Life, we can lose it from one day to the next, and sometimes it takes an event like this to make changes,” said the one who sold the drugs to Stanvick and who should face justice for this offence.

    “We changed things, one will be better. Dalton will be able to have the necessary support and guidance they need. It changes a life, but it is resilient. I had never had anything to do with justice but I’m happy to see that she has given us reason,” said, for his part, the young woman who found herself mixed up with this whole story in spite of itself.

    Submissions on sentencing will be held on may 4 next.