The mother of the girls Shafia, who were murdered in 2009, will be expelled from the country upon his release

News 15 March, 2018
  • archives, QMI Agency

    Axel Marchand-Lamothe

    Thursday, march 15, 2018 10:52

    Thursday, march 15, 2018 10:52

    Look at this article

    Tooba Yayha, sentenced to life imprisonment for a crime of honour has lost his permanent resident status and may be expelled from the country at the end of his prison sentence.

    A native of Afghanistan, Tooba Yayha had been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole before 25 years of age in 2012 for having murdered his three daughters, and another member of her family with her husband Mohammad Shafia and their son Hamed.

    “It does not change large-thing for her because she is held, mentioned his lawyer, Stéphane Handfield at the output of the hearing by videoconference. She is not eligible for parole.”

    The immigration and refugee board of Canada (IRB) has ordained this morning of his expulsion to his country of origin by revoking his permanent resident status.

    Since she has been sentenced to more than 6 months of a penitentiary, it cannot appeal the decision according to his lawyer.

    However, this measure may not apply as she does not get his parole.

    “She would have been able to invoke humanitarian reasons, says Me Handfield. Appeals may be submitted eventually to the minister of Immigration, will have to see in 16 years [when she will be eligible for release] what will be the state of the law.”

    Given the length of his sentence, his lawyer was questioned on the reasons that led the canada border services Agency to want to do six years after his conviction.

    “That’s a good question. I don’t have the answer unfortunately. I do not know why today, ” he replied.

    June 30, 2009, the bodies of her daughters Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, and the first wife of Mohammad Shafia, Rona, 52-year-old had been found in a car at the bottom of a canal lock in Kingston, Ontario.

    The call request made by the montreal family had been rejected by the Ontario superior Court of justice in 2016.

    Mohammad Shafia and his family had received permanent resident status in 2007 through a special program of immigration of the provincial and federal governments