The new history course at the secondary level approved
Archival Photo Simon Clark
The minister of Education, Sébastien Proulx
Tuesday, 8 August, 2017 22:22
Tuesday, 8 August, 2017 22:27
Look at this article
The saga surrounding the new history course in secondary school coming to an end. The minister of Education, Sébastien Proulx, comes to approve the final version, which will be required at the start of the year.
The minister Proulx has affixed his signature on the final version of the program last week, after having deferred the implementation last year.
This new course history of Quebec and of Canada, including the redesign has been undertaken under the government Marois in 2013, has been tested in the form of pilot projects in third secondary from 2015, and the fourth secondary in 2016.
According to the president of the Society of teachers of the history of Quebec, Raymond Bédard, this redesign has been very well received by the majority of teachers, who were demanding that the content is presented chronologically rather than thematically, as the old program.
The critics of the English-speaking
But last year, critics had been issued by representatives of the English-speaking communities and aboriginal peoples, who believed that history was not taught in a fairly neutral or inclusive. “It is always difficult for a minister to meet all the world”, drops Mr. Bédard.
In recent months, minor changes have been made to respond to these criticisms.
The Quebec Community Group Network is delighted. “We see that there have been efforts that have been made, we are happy. It is important not to ignore the contributions of all those who have created the Québec “, says its director of communications, Rita Legault.
The latter is concerned, however, that the most recent changes are not included in the textbooks, since they were printed, there was already several months.
Manuals to adapt
The ministry of Education, replied that the manuals be distributed this winter by the publishing houses will not be the same that will be used for the next school year. “Publishing houses have to adapt their manual, taking into account items added to the programme approved by the minister,” says his spokesperson Esther Chouinard.
It was not possible Tuesday to get comments on this subject on the part of publishing houses.