Women assaulted : The ex-coach Bertrand Charest willing to pay $ 100,000 bail
On Thursday 14 December 2017 11:08
On Thursday 14 December 2017 11:10
Look at this article
The ex-coach Bertrand Charest is willing to pay $ 100,000 bail to be released, waiting to be heard on appeal of assaulting nine young skiers elite 20 years ago.
“We propose very strict conditions in order not to undermine the confidence of the public towards the administration of justice],” said the lawyer, Antonio Cabral, this Thursday in the Court of appeal of Québec in Montréal.
Because even if the coach forfeit has been sentenced to 12 years in prison last week, he should have the right to be released on bail, even if that application has already been rejected two times in the past.
“Two judges of the Court of Québec and the other from the superior Court of Quebec, came to the conclusion that a release would undermine public confidence “, has also argued the prosecutor at the Crown Maximus Lacoursière.
Charest, 52, was found guilty last June to not less than 37 counts of sex crimes which occurred during seven years, in the 90’s.
At the time, he was the coach of alpine skiing, but he had taken advantage of its proximity with young girls minor teams in Laurentian and National junior alpine skiing under its responsibility, in order to abuse them.
“He has broken their trust to satisfy his sexual urges “, reminded Me Lacoursière, which is opposed to any release.
Charest had made sexual contact with some racers, but he also had a relationship complete with four of them. One of the athletes even had to have an abortion when she was only 15 years old.
For the defence, the judge of first instance, however, erred in its judgment on the verdict that the sentence of 12 years in penitentiary.
“There’s a good chance that it is happening again, in the first instance, I am convinced that the chances of a new trial are great,” said the court Louis Nicholas Coupal, who also defends Bertrand Charest with Me Cabral.
If an appeal has already been filed regarding the verdict, the lawyer has also announced that it would increase the penalty on appeal.
After hearing both the Crown and defence, judge Martin Vauclair announced that it would take his decision under advisement.
“I’m going to make a decision quickly, maybe even tomorrow,” said the magistrate.
And if it gives reason to the defense, it shall convene the parties to discuss the conditions of release.
Me Cabral is planning to propose a bond of $ 100,000, but also to impose a curfew to its customer. It would also be forbidden to be with minors or even to be a coach.
If he is released pending his appeal, Charest would like to live with him, to Montreal-Tremblant.