Button batteries : a risk of poisoning for small children and an emergency

Health 14 December, 2017


Published the 14.12.2017 at 11h54


Keywords :

batteries électriqueintoxicationperforationdyspnée

They are small, round and flat, button-cell batteries. Present in remote controls, toys, or any other electronic product, they can be very dangerous. Several cases of ingestion and poisoning of children by ingestion of these batteries have been reported by poison control centers. In case of ingestion, and the wrong path, they can come butcher a flinch with a cough and breathing problems acute.
But there is also a risk of perforation of the esophagus, because the battery is responsible for an electrolysis local that destroyed the internal membrane of the esophagus, the mucosa, which may lead to a puncture, and numerous complications, very serious (infection, fistula, etc.).

Health alert

The national agency of sanitary security alert parents to better prevent accidents.Each year, the ingestion of button batteries is the cause of 1200 emergency room visits. Children 0 to 5 years of age are most affected.
Swallow a small stack, called the stack button, presents a risk of airway obstruction. But not only, in the case of ingestion, the individual risk of intoxication. In fact, the battery contains very toxic substances, which are released in the esophagus and that can, in just a few hours, cause damage to the potentially life-threatening.

Attention to handspinners

Toys for children are normally required to have a battery compartment closed, will not open when the toy falls or breaks. The authorities have withdrawn from the market toys which do not comply with these regulations in the last year. But some of these objects are outside the controls. In particular, handspinners, these toys are all the rage in the course of recess. Some models are bright, to these, a dozen reports have been made for risk of ingestion of button batteries.

Check that the batteries are not accessible

The DGCCRF (Directorate general for competition, consumption and repression of fraud) warns parents on this type of toy. It is necessary to systematically check that the batteries are not easily accessible. Other objects of everyday life must also be the object of vigilance : remote controls and car keys for example.

If your child ingests a battery, or if you think it has ingested a, it is necessary to immediately contact the 15 or a poison control center.